For original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) that need to jumpstart development programmes and accelerate speed to market for new products, Perkins is demonstrating a new range of comprehensive integration, mechanical, electrical, software and controls engineering capabilities at ConExpo-CON/AGG this week. Designed to help customers continuously explore new ways to optimise their equipment’s performance, efficiency, and power density using conventional, hybrid and next-generation energy sources, Perkins’ offerings are helping deliver smarter solutions to advance sustainable power.
“Throughout our history, Perkins has combined confidence and curiosity to challenge conventional wisdom and help humanity power ahead,” said Steve Ferguson, President of Perkins. “Now is the time to demonstrate our industry leadership by exploring new ways to help customers and end users solve their ever-evolving challenges.”
ConExpo: Perkins goes beyond engines to provide comprehensive powertrain expertise
As new power system approaches become more complex, Perkins continues to evolve and deliver smarter solutions that advance sustainable power through its global Customer Machine Engineering Team (CMET). CMET connects multi-disciplinary experts from around the world who give OEMs on-demand access to skillsets and insights they need during their research and development, design, engineering, and production process life cycles. CMET’s capabilities are in increasingly greater demand by OEMs’ engineering departments seeking inspiration and guidance as they specify integrated powertrain solutions that are designed to produce less emissions as compared to traditional diesel-powered internal combustion engines.
“OEM research and development teams already face intense pressures from accelerated development priorities and limitations on resources,” said Jaz Gill, Perkins Vice President of global sales, marketing, service, and parts. “Through the immensely talented and equipped Perkins CMET, we’re strategically positioned to help OEMs achieve better outcomes faster with lower development costs, especially in the adoption of next-generation powertrains.”
To illustrate CMETs capabilities, Perkins is exhibiting an integrated, end-to-end diesel-electric hybrid powertrain at ConExpo. The solution is highly configurable for a wide range of off-highway applications, with the featured configuration being suited to backhoe loader or telehandler applications and consisting of a scalable 48-volt battery module, powershift transmission, 20 kW motor-generator unit, inverter, and an advanced energy control module.
Perkins is also spotlighting its deep and growing component and systems integration expertise in electric-driven powertrains, building on its announcement of its battery development programme at Bauma in October 2022.
Perkins collaborates with customers
CMET’s advanced capabilities are just one way Perkins is evolving to better connect with and support customers. To reflect its commitment to customer-focused problem solving, Perkins has made transformational changes spanning its worldwide operations, research and development, and product and service offerings, including aftermarket support. Perkins is showcasing an array of inventive products that mitigate long-standing technical and operational barriers customers face on the path to a more sustainable, lower-carbon future.
By collaborating with OEMs that are evaluating diverse powertrain alternatives, Perkins and the new Customer Solutions team can help product teams select tailored solutions that meet their specific requirements and deliver the optimal balance of owning and operating costs they need by applying deep engineering expertise, wide-ranging market sector knowledge, and a power source-agnostic approach.
Perkins power solutions at ConExpo
At ConExpo, Perkins is highlighting its large, fast-growing portfolio of advanced power product and service solutions designed to help customers manage the energy transition to a more sustainable, lower-carbon future.
- 48-, 300- and 600-volt lithium-ion battery solutions with modular designs and factory-installed telematics that Perkins is developing to optimise performance and packaging in numerous next-generation off-highway applications for the construction, industrial, materials handling and agricultural industries.
- Industrial diesel engines and industrial open power units (IOPU) that are available today to help OEMs reduce greenhouse gas emissions from their machines. Perkins offers the widest diesel engine power range from 0.5 to 18 litres and 8.2 to 597 kW (11-800 hp) that meet the most stringent global emission standards: EU Stage V and U.S. EPA Tier 4 Final, with the exhibit featuring the 904J-E28T IOPU, the 1204J-E44TA, the 1706J-E93TA and the new 2606J-E13TA. These engines are capable of using renewable, lower carbon-intensity fuels that meet the leading industry diesel fuel specifications.
- Connectivity solutions with hardware reading important engine data, displayed to the customer as timely insights. For OEMs with their own in-house telematics solution, an API based service which receives engine data is provided. From this, Perkins delivers useful insights to enhance the service provided by the OEM to their customer, aiding the customer’s productivity.
- Perkins Ecoplus fuel filters that are engineered to minimise waste and enable recycling after use. Designed without a metal housing and centre tube, Ecoplus filters are manufactured with fewer materials while providing outstanding performance, enabling up to 45 percent longer injector life in a recent comparison wear test with competitive filters.
- Leading aftermarket capabilities from Perkins promote sustainability through improved fuel efficiency and prolonged machine life cycles, such as all-inclusive Perkins Hypercare packages, and flexible overhaul solutions from new single cylinder repair sleeves for cost-effective overhaul which maximises reuse of existing parts, through to full ‘drop-in’ replacement engine solutions.